Last week I watched the movie “Lucy”. Have you seen it? It’s a great Hollywood movie starring Scarlett Johansson and Morgan Freeman with quite an interesting subject: Nootropics aka Smart Drugs. Now, I’m not writing an article supporting drug use, but I think memory & cognitive enhancers are an extremely intriguing topic, especially for people interested in the potentials of the human mind, and self-mastery. The movie states, “The average person uses 10% of their brain capacity. Today she will hit 100%.”
In the modern world many people’s lives are extremely success driven and they tend to have two objectives:
- Carpe Diem, “seize the day”. To live life to the fullest potential.
- Self-mastery in order to be faster, stronger, and to become a fully realized human being.
Now nootropics can come in two different forms, pharmaceuticals or supplements. Both have the goal to improve mental functions such as cognition, memory, intelligence, motivation, attention, and concentration. In brief, they aim to improve your cognitive capabilities. They usually affect the brain’s supply of neurochemicals such as enzymes and hormones by enhancing oxygen supply or nerve growth. Of these two forms, pharmaceuticals can still have adverse effects. Which leaves us again, to nature’s solution and magic, “herbs”.
My TOP 5 list of the most amazing natural herbs you can use to live to your fullest potential –
- Reishi Mushroom – Reishi has been the most revered mushroom in Asia for over 2,000 years and the Chinese say this mushroom can take you to a “dimension of transcendent reality.” Reishi helps promote healthy brain chemistry, memory & concentration.
- Gotu-Kola Leaf – Gotu kola has been highly regarded in India for thousands of years and is perhaps the most spiritual of all herbs. It is used by yogis to improve meditation and is said to develop the crown chakra, which is the energy center at the top of the head. It will also bring balance to the right and left hemispheres of the brain.
- Rhodiola Rosea – Rhodiola has a legendary history dating back thousands of years. The Vikings depended on the herb to enhance their physical strength and endurance, while Chinese emperors sent expeditions to Siberia to bring back “the golden root” for medicinal uses. In the brain, Rhodiola helps to improve various parameters of brain function including attention, memory, thought formation, calculating, evaluating, planning, and overall learning.
- Ashwagandha Root - Ashwagandha is an ancient Ayurvedic medicine used for millennia as a tonic and rejuvenator. New research confirms its capability as an exceptionally effective anti-stress agent and brain protectant, and is quickly becoming a key component in many nootropic stacks.
Bacopa monnieri - Bacopa's claim to fame is that it enhances memory. The only caveat is that it takes six weeks of Bacopa treatment for these benefits to manifest.
Memory enhancement is a real feat. There are only a handful of supplements or herbs that enhance memory. The existence of psychostimulants is a testament to the fact that it is not difficult to artificially increase motivation and focus in humans. But memory? It is notoriously difficult to reproducibly improve memory in humans.
Now, I think it’s clear that the benefits of neuro enhancers are very much in line with the objectives of the modern digital era. The growing demands of the 21st century push people to look for new options, and natural solutions often seem to be the “best way.”
Wishing you to live the life you dream! And, please share this article with friends and loved ones.
Johnny Andrew Gigliotti Bailik is the Founder of IMMORDL and NOMAD APOTHECARY with the mission to awaken the public to the ancient healing powers of herbs and plants. Johnny is dedicated to bringing about bodily health and spiritual wellness in all acts of the company. Johnny holds a BFA degree in Fine Art & Advertising and graduated Magna Cum Laude. Johnny has been a life-long student to herbal plants & medicine and is part of a long lineage of healers and teachers Johnny has worked with Amgen Pharmaceuticals, American Botanical Pharmacy, Deutsch Advertising and United Future to name a few companies. He is an avid mountain biker, snowboarder, yoga practitioner, runner, and cross-fit athlete.